Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Frugal Challenge

I am sharing my New Years Resolution on our blog - you know what they say "A goal not written down is just a wish." Plus, I figure this now means I am accountable to my friends and family. I'll report at the end of each month on my progress. This should definitely keep me motivated!

Here's the goal:
I will spend less than $200 each month on food.

Here's why:
Alaska for 1 month and I REALLY need a
Canon Rebel w/ telephoto lens

I don't want to take money out of savings for the trip or camera. We've cut many of our other expenses to work towards this goal.

Sounds crazy - especially since I regularly spend well over $500. But here's how I'm going to do it. (of course I have a plan... remember, I am very Type A)
  1. I have lots of basic food storage I AM GOING TO USE. Yes, that means beans and rice and pasta. Grinding wheat for bread. Powdered milk in baking. Etc. Etc. Etc.
  2. I use a website called refundcents to find great deals with coupons, refunding and rebates. I already have $70 in refunds/giftcards with Walgreens.
  3. My family is on board with this. Shea and Braden are very excited to spend the summer in Alaska (and understand that we have to find the money somewhere). Robert is ALWAYS supportive of my wild schemes.
  4. We will RARELY eat out. This is probably the hardest for me. Eating out is one of my favorite things to do!
  5. I am a very competitive person... especially with myself and I love a challenge.
  6. I've wanted to spend a month in AK for years.... and especially want Shea and Braden to experience it before they are too old to like being with me :)
  7. I have an addictive personality and right now I am addicted to finding good deals! With the internet - it's pretty easy.
  8. I'm slightly crazy.

1 comment:

Grandma Zee said...

Go Bliss...how did I get a daughter with an addictive personality....aka type A?? Now I just have to keep up with you on the deals. Great example for your kids.
Mom

Blog Archive